Saturday, July 21, 2018

[MUSIC VIDEO REVIEW] Seventeen - Oh My! (2018)


Summer does not only belong to K-Pop girls groups. The boys join competition too including Seventeen. This boy group released their new album, You Make My Day on Monday, July 16th 2018.

You Make My Day has Oh My! as its title track. Through this song, Seventeen offers something unusual again in summer scene. The boys have done it before with Don’t Wanna Cry last year. 

How does Oh My! stand out among other K-Pop groups summer song? Do Seventeen manage to nail it? Check out my review for Oh My! below……….


Oh My! surprises us since the beginning. It does not have high-energy sound like Clap or Very Nice. Instead, Seventeen presents more chill arrangement. The usage of keyboard as well as funky beat manages to set this tone.

The chill arrangement then combines with Seventeen signature singing style. The short exchange part between members is still there. It makes the song lively, which fits its lyrics about falling in love. The dynamic is interesting too since each verse showcases different arrangement. The second verse stands out due to rap and vocal combination.

It is the refrain part that becomes Oh My! weakest link. The hook sounds repetitive although it is catchy. It also could not continue the verses strong dynamic. There are too many empty spaces throughout refrain part.



In terms of music video, Oh My! proves creativity has no boundaries. It still looks interesting despite of its limited setting. These are the results from having various properties, different lighting, and unique camerawork.

Oh My! music video also does not fall into typical K-Pop summer concept. There is no beach or party scene. It just shows the boys dream and lazy around in their house. The dream theme captures our attention. It portrays well through the aesthetic with clouds property, bedroom setting as well as pastel tone.



Seventeen successfully brings out something fresh in summer. Oh My! is a pleasant listening track and enjoyable companion for a trip. The music video adds interesting aspect too. Still, it does not as strong as their previous tracks.




Rating:            4/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment