Wednesday, February 20, 2013

[MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW] SHINee - Dream Girl - The Misconceptions of You (2013)


20130219_shinee_dreamgirl.jpg


Hello again!!!

After reviewing about SHINee - Dream Girl Music Video on my previous post, now, I am going to review about their new album, The Misconceptions of YouLike what I said on my previous post, The Misconceptions of You is the first chapter, or first album, as a part of their whole album called Dream Girl. The second chapter of this album will be called The Misconceptions of Me and it will be released on April. 

The Misconceptions of You contains nine songs, including their title song, Dream Girl. This album, as expected, has topped Korean charts since yesterday. SHINee will also hold their comeback showcase today, which will be aired worldwide online through Naver Music.

I like SHINee, but not a really big fan of them. I adore their passion in music, their amazing full of technique choreography, their personality, and of course, their song. But, I do not know why I always excited every time they are going to have a comeback hehehehe. Maybe because of their song or performance or maybe because I like to see Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin again. This is the second time I experienced their comeback and trust me, last year, I was really really excited when they are going to have a comeback with Sherlock

Okay, enough with my story. Now, finally, I am going to review their album!! Please bear with my lack of knowledge in music :") So, here it is my review...........


The first track is called Spoiler. When you listen the first few seconds of this song, maybe you will think that you get fooled by this song since it has the intro from their last year title song, Sherlock. But, the next few seconds, ........boom!! There is a twist in there, which I freakin' love, followed by Jonghyun's alluring voice asking us, referred as Dream Girl, did we wait for them since it's been a while. Okay...wow...these few seconds enough to make me fall in love with this song and the rest of this song is not disappointing as well. This is how you should make an opening song for an album! Spoiler shows us what direction that this album will take from the music and the lyrics. I love how they make an intro from Sherlock, which shows that this album continues Sherlock album. I love how the lyrics tells us that SHINee is back and we better be prepared for it. Applause to Kim Jonghyun for making the lyrics! I also love the sexy and mysterious vibe in this song and I love how five of them deliver this song with confidence in a cocky way. Lastly, like what the title named, I really like how Jonghyun spoiled us with the name of SHINee's tracks in this and possibly, the second chapter album.


The second track, which also the title track from this album, called Dream Girl. Different vibe from Spoiler which is mysterious, Dream Girl provide us an upbeat track accompanied by interesting guitar sound. The review of this track can be found here.


The third track is called Hitchhiking. Apparently, based on the Highlight Medley Preview, this should be my most favorite track from the album. But, when I listen to the whole song, sorry to say, it's below my expectation. But, it does not mean that this song sucks. It still a good song, but maybe I set my standard to high. Anyway, SHINee talks about time machine this time with strong upbeat music before it gets slow down on the refrain. This song is sooooo SHINee, bringing back the memories about their previous title track, Sherlock. Love the upbeat music part! And I rarely said this actually, I love Minho and Key raps in this song followed by the strong upbeat music. The only thing bothering me is Minho unnecessary English lines before his rap part with Key.


The fourth track is Punch Drunk Love. Different from the previous three tracks, this song started with Jonghyun's voice before it followed by music. This song has an eighties vibe on it and somehow, reminds me of Girls' Generation - Express 999. I super love the guitar part of this song!!! Their last harmonization in this song without music is also pleasant to ear. Punch Drunk Love has a cute lyrics about how these five shining boys cannot handle their love for a girl until they feel like fainting. The usage of terms, like punch, knock down, and K.O., which are references from boxing, are also very unique and suit the song well.


After Punch Drunk Love, SHINee let us sing along with Girls Girls Girls. This song has a slower tempo compared to other four previous tracks. Girls Girls Girls lyrics is about one guy who tried to find a way to get a girl's heart. Basically, this song is like a talking session between these boys. But, wait until we come to the interesting part, which is the line distribution of this song. Throughout this song, there is only one guy who sing the part where the boy asking advices from his friends about how to get a girl and this boy is..........Taemin, the youngest member! Hahahahaha. It is super cute to see him confused about this girl thingy and ask advice from his hyungs (a Korean term of how younger boy called older boy). If you think the interesting part stopped until here, well you are wrong because the lyrics for the hyungs advices are actually match with their own personalities! Key with his advice to be stylish since girls love shopping, Jonghyun who thinks that being romantic is important, Minho, who already gorgeous since the day he was born, that thinks that you don't have to try too hard to get girl's heart (although Minho, I disagree with you since we DO look at anything beside height and face), and Onew with his never ending advice about how you should play a piano for her. I am sure SHINee fans, Shawols, will go, "aaaawwwwwww!!!!", when seeing them sing this song live.


Moving on to the track which has the slowest tempo in this album, Aside. What I love about Aside is that eventhough it is a slow tempo song, the music is still a continuity with other songs in this album. As we all know, in every K-Pop idols album, there must be one slow track that showcase each member vocal talent, but sadly, this song sometimes does not match with the concept of the album. Thankfully, Aside does not trap to be that by still sticking into this album concept. Aside has the sweet lyrics, which is about how we love someone, but we do not have the courage to tell them. Yes, I know we all have been in that position :") Anyway, I like this song because if you know me, you know I am a big fan of slow and ballad song, so these kind of songs will never go wrong for me.


After cooling down with Aside, SHINee is back with another not so upbeat track called Beautiful. Different from the first four tracks in this album, which has more retro vibe in it, Beautiful has futuristic vibe. This song, in my opinion, is also like the opening song from the last three tracks, which has the same futuristic vibe. Sorry to say, but this song does not have the stand out music like the previous track. Well, maybe because I am not a big fan of the futuristic/electronic sound. But, I kind of like the fast transition before refrain and during Minho's part. Beside that, the "Areumdawo" part surely will get stuck in our head for a long time.


The next track is Dynamite, which also many people's favorite. But, if you ask about my opinion, well, I like this song, but not really big fan of it because simply it is just because this song is not really my style. Anyway, love the verses part, especially the opening part (Is that Taemin's voice?). The part after the first refrain and Jonghyun's "Feel It!", which is so Michael Jackson, are the highlight part of this song. If you try to find another song with sexy vibe in this album aside from Spoiler, then you have to listen to Dynamite.


For the last track in this album, SHINee asked us to Runaway with them, which I am willingly to do hehehehe. I think the lyrics of this song is suitable to be the last track in this album because after going crazy chasing a girl, which can be describe in the other eight tracks in this album, finally Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, and Taemin finally get the girl and ask them to go with them. Or maybe because five of them already desperate, they decided to bring a girl that they like to runaway :p Hahahahahahaha. Anyway, this song has the similar vibe like Beautiful with the futuristic sound. Easy listening song, but just it. Nothing really special about it since this type of song can easily be found in other idols songs. But, still, there is the interesting part about this song, which is the finger picking part.

SHINee1-550x350.jpg


Overall, I am satisfied with what SHINee is trying to do with The Misconceptions of You. This album brings back the signature style of SHINee with the colorful concept and distinctive sound. Almost each song stand out with their own way. I love how they stick to the theme, "A boy madly in love with a girl", throughout this album. As for the members' vocals, their vocals are equal in this album. Taemin and Minho improved greatly in this album with many lines that they get although sometimes I still find it hard to differentiate between Taemin and Jonghyun's voice. In my opinion, this album is better than Sherlock album. Lastly, I really like how SM Entertainment started to putting good materials this year with their idols Korean comeback starting from Girls' Generation's I Got A Boy album, which is a breakthrough point for the girls with different sound for each tracks, to SHINee's Dream Girl - The Misconceptions of You. Hopefully, this positive trends will continue to grow!



My Favorite Tracks                                       : Spoiler, Dream Girl, Punch Drunk Love, Girls Girls Girls, Aside

Best to be Listen At                                      : When you are alone in your bedroom while thinking about your crush, when you are driving

Rate                                                                    : 4/5

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually already read your comment, but I cannot answer it right away.
    So, I'll answer it now.
    I'm so sorry it's my bad because Key voice sounds sooo much like Minho at those English part :D
    Thank you for your correction & too bad you delete it :)

    ReplyDelete