Saturday, February 16, 2013

Me and Korean Melodramas

miss-you-trailer11.jpg


Hellooooo!!!
Oh My God, like finally, I can update my blog again!!!Hahahahahahahaha sorry if that is too much.

First of all, I am truly sorry for my lack of updates on this blog. For the past few weeks, I have been busy with Final Exam and Student Organization. There are so much things to do, which made me have no time to update this blog. Once again, I am really sorry :(
Today, I am going to write another post about K-Dramas. Yes, I have been soooooooo into K-Dramas lately :) So many list about K-Dramas that I am going to watch and I hope that I will be able to watch all of it ;)

Anyway, actually, before this, I am going to write a review about SISTAR19 newest single, Gone Not Around Any Longer, and Korean miniseries, White Christmas. But, unfortunately, since I already watched it several weeks ago, the feeling to write it a review is gone :"""(
In a sum, Gone Not Around Any Longer is a pleasant listen song, but sadly, lack of "punch". As for the choreography, this time, it is too much exploiting sexiness. Meanwhile, for White Christmas, it is a miniseries with unpredictable story and brilliant young casts. Definitely one of the best drama I have ever watched!!!


autumn.jpg

Back to today's post again, this time, I will write about my personal thoughts one one of the genre in K-Dramas, which called, melodrama. Melodrama means a drama which has a characterization of exaggerated emotions, stereotypical characters, and interpersonal conflicts (thefreedictionary.com). Usually, this type of drama also guaranteed to make the viewers get angry with the evil characters and of course, cry seeing the life of the main character, which mostly has a miserable life.

In every melodrama, including K-Melodramas, there is one basic story line which often repeated over and over again. The story line goes like this; there is a pretty woman who has miserable life and then, she fall in love with the super handsome and rich man. The man also feel the same way too, but it is not easy to make them together and have a happy life since there is always a second lead female character, who also pretty, but manipulative and mean, that also going into the main male character. This second lead female character always torture the main female character and try to break her relationship with the man. But, fortunately, there will always be the second lead male character, who is also handsome and superduper nice like an angel, that always be beside the main female character and help her. This man is secretly in love with the main female character, but, sadly, it is one sided love.

The story line on the above will accompanied by several basic elements, such as evil older women character, illness that cannot be cured, accidents, and amnesia. The famous classical K-Melodramas, such as Autumn In My Heart (2000) and Stairway to Heaven (2003), have this typical story line. But, nowadays, K-Melodramas, like Nice Guy (2012) and I Miss You (2012), are more varied with their story line eventhough it still input the basic elements in K-Melodramas.

Fashion-King_korean-dramas.jpg

To be quite honest, melodrama is actually not my cup of tea. I don't really like how the story is too typical. I don't really like how it can increase my blood pressure because I get angry with how the evil characters torture the main character or how dumb and weak the main character is. And most importantly, I really hate to have bucket of tears because of the heartbreaking scenes on this drama. All of this explained that how I tend to avoid this type of drama.

Wait, wait, hold on a second..........avoid??? Really avoid this kind of drama??? Well, not so much, because believe it or not, last year until early this year, I watched about five melodramas, which are Love Rain, Fashion King, I Miss You, Nice Guy, and recently, That Winter, The Wind Blows. Well, I have an explanation for this actually hehehehe. For Love Rain and Fashion King, I watched it because it has Yoona and Yuri, two members of my favorite girl group, Girls' Generation, as the main and second female lead character. As for I Miss You, well, who can't resist Park Yoochun and Yoo Seung Ho in one drama? While Nice Guy, it gained many positive reviews from people which make me curious. And lastly, the reason why I watch That Winter, The Wind Blows because many people said that it has similar vibe with Nice Guy.

By looking at that, I begin questioning what is wrong with me? I supposed to hate melodramas, but why I turned out to enjoy it? Hahahahahaha this is so over dramatic. But, then, I realize there are three things which make me like this type of drama and not soo against it.

Remember, my opinions only based on those five melodramas and only a little part of other melodramas :)

nice+guy+kdrama+2012+still+세상+어디에도+없는+차칸남자+episode+9+kang+maru+song+joong+ki+송중기+tears.png



1. Great Acting from the Casts

The main reason why I enjoyed K-Melodramas so much is because of the casts' amazing acting. Like what has been said earlier, melodramas have the tendency to have typical characters and story lines. Surely, viewers will be bored with this. In order to make it interesting, the casting team has to find the actor/actress that able to bring their characters into different level. It means that they need to portray their character's emotions perfectly and can make viewers related to it. This explained why Song Joong Ki gained enormous popularity last year with Nice Guy because he make viewers feel Kang Maru, his character emotions. This also explained why viewers still feel pity for Harry Borrison (Yoo Seung Ho) in I Miss You and Han Jae Hee (Park Shi Yeon) in Nice Guy, eventhough they actually the bad guy/girl. Lastly, great acting from the casts can also save the drama since the story line is sometimes too typical. The main reason why I still enjoy Fashion King despite its confusing story and ending is because of the four lead characters, acting, Shin Se Kyung, Yoo Ah In, Lee Jee Hoon, and Yuri.

love-rain-3.jpg

2. Heart Wrenching Soundtrack

Why Kang Maru and Seo Eun Gi's (Moon Chae Won) sad scenes in Nice Guy able to make viewers cry? It is because there is Xiah Junsu's soulful voice on those scenes singing his song, my personal favorite, Love Is Like A Snowflake. Whenever there are sad scenes in K-Melodramas, it will always be accompanied with heart wrenching soundtracks. With the sad lyrics and the singer's soulful voice that fits perfectly with the drama, viewers are able to get emotionally involved with it. Some memorable soundtracks like the famous, Bogoshipda, by Kim Bum Soo from drama, Stairway to Heaven, even make people suddenly remember the drama whenever they hear the soundtrack. Well, personally, this type of songs are actually my favorite song, which is also explained why I enjoyed watching K-Melodramas so much. I still remember how many times I listen to Jang Geun Seuk's, Love Rain, and Girls' Generation Tiffany's, Because It's You, when it first appeared on drama, Love Rain, until now.


53.jpg

3. Lovely Sidekick Characters

Eventhough the title is melodrama, it actually does not always show every single character in this drama crying because of their miserable life. There are still many happy and funny scenes, thanks to the lovable sidekick character. Usually, this character is the best friend of the main male character which described as funny and loyal. These characters are very refreshing in the middle of the mellow theme on the drama. Characters like Park Jae Gil (Lee Kwang Soo) from Nice Guy and Kim Chang Mo (Seo In Guk) from Love Rain, always make viewers laugh with their silly, yet adorable attitudes. These characters also has their own cute love line, which contrasted the angsty love line of the main characters. How many times viewers giggle by seeing Kang Choco (Lee Yoo Bi) flirty attitude towards Park Jae Gil? Or the most recent one, how many of you screaming when Moon Hee Sun (Jung Eun Ji) accidentally kissed Park Jin Sung's (Kim Bum) lips? Lastly, these sidekick character always provide us a heartwarming friendship with the main male character. Song Joong Ki-Lee Kwang Soo from Nice Guy and Park Yoochun-Oh Jung Se from I Miss You showed us amazing chemistry as a best friend and co-workers. While Jo In Sung and Kim Bum, already make me love their friendship in That Winter, The Wind Blows, despite only airing three episodes.


That-WinterThe-Wind-Blows-Trailer.jpg


In summary, there are three reasons why I like watching K-Melodramas, which are great acting from the casts, heart wrenching soundtracks, and lovely sidekick characters. These three reasons are enough to make me enjoy K-Melodramas. 

But, truthfully, no matter how typical the story is, it will never gets old. It will always make the viewers, including me, watch the drama because watching it was like a roller coaster emotion. And finally, I have to fix my previous statement on the above because yes, I do enjoy watching K-Melodramas :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment